Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Be still and know that HE is God!

So, God woke me up in the middle of the night last night with an urgency to write this blog today. Several times at different parts of the night He awoke me with different scripture and stories from the bible that by morning all came together in my mind.

Recently I've talked to several different women all of who is struggling in some form or another with "waiting on the Lord" for a break through or a miracle weather it be with their jobs, finances, their own lives, children's lives etc. And several times this week I've found myself repeating Psalm 45:10 "Be still and know that I am God..." not only to myself but to other women who need to hear it, believe it and live it. "Be still" or "wait" on the Lord has never been one of my strong points in my walk with God. I tend to wait as long as I can and then just say "okay, time for ME to step in" I've been patient long enough! And then things never turn out the way I want them, because I can't just "wait" for them! When I do things on my own because I'm not perfect I tend to mess those things up, but when I "wait" on the Lord, and because he is perfect, it always turns out perfect.

Another verse that goes along with this would be Isaiah 40:31 "They that WAIT on the Lord, shall renew their strength. They will mount up with wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary they will walk and not faint" This verse not only tells us to "wait" on the Lord but it also gives us a promise that if we are faithful and trust in God, he will strengthen us, he will let us soar to new places! It's always nice to be reminded of a promise from God when we are in the midst of "waiting" on Him especially when the situation looks unpromising, and we've been waiting for weeks, months or even years!

I've been reading a new book By Billy Graham called "The Holy Spirit." Last night I was reading about when the Holy Spirit came at Pentecost. In Acts 1:4, Jesus commanded his followers not to leave Jerusalem, but to "wait" for the gift(Holy Spirit) that was promised to them. He also told them in Acts 1:8, that they will receive POWER when the Holy Spirit comes, and that they will be His witnesses to the ends of the earth. On the day of Pentecost a group of about 120(Acts 1:15) were all together praying when they saw what seemed to be tongues of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them (Acts 2:3-4) All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit enabled them.

So here are Jesus's followers I'm sure they are anxiously awaiting this "promise" or this "gift" that was told was coming, and they were told to stay in one place and "wait." I'm sure they were excited to get out and spread the good news about Jesus and what he had done and share the gospel and transform lives, but do you think they would have been effective if they did that without "waiting" as God told them for the Holy Spirit? If they had just left and went out on their own instead of waiting on their promise, they would have no power within themselves to witness to the ends of the earth. Do you think without the power of God (the Holy Spirit) and his perfect plan that they would have converted Jews, the very people who put Jesus on the cross to be His followers?

The word Fire, when I look up the definition has several! A few of them I read were "To inspire", "To inflame with passion." In Exodus 3:2-10, God comes to Moses in the form of a burning bush (or fire). Before this happened (as with Jesus's followers before they saw the Flames of tongues), The people of Egypt had been "waiting" on the Lord to deliver them from slavery. Had they taken off themselves and tried to free themselves, I'm sure they would have been put to death, however, God came to give them inspiration, and give them passion back in their lives by bringing with Him a promise! A promise to free them and take them into the promised land!

It's so hard to wait on the Lord, especially not being aware of or reminded of the promises He has for us. But after God showed me this, and how there is SUCH a huge promise, not only will he take care of my troubles, but he will give me power, he will give me strength, he will give me inspiration and more passion for him than I have ever had before. God wants to give us these things! The "waiting" is so hard sometimes especially if we've been doing it for years, but in the end, things turn out perfect the way God intended for them to be. What better way to take care of problems then to turn it over to someone who is already perfect, and already knows what is going to happen anyways. So ladies, I encourage you to wait for your "promise" don't take life on yourselves because none of us are perfect and if your anything like me I mess things up all the time! Wait for your perfect Promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment